What communities are doing to address sustainability
City of Largo's
City of Sarasota's
What businesses are doing to address sustainability
- Water And Electric Conservation: For example, converting to energy efficient faucets, toilets and lighting can be a great way to save water, energy and budget dollars
- Supply Chains: Maintain a list of sustainable friendly vendors and make it a priority to only use organizations that embrace sustainable business practices
- Develop a Recycling Program
- Chemical Management: Strive to use green cleaning products and non-chemical products for pest control and weed management
- Purchase Only Energy Efficient Products: Look for energy efficient electronic products and use environmentally friendly settings on office equipment
- Develop Sustainability Work Policies
What citizens are doing to address sustainability
- Using post-consumer wastes, PCW, such as recyclable/recycled paper. PCW saves 45% energy and creates half the waste. Additionally, avoid single-use plastics.
- Along with PCWs, use biodegradable cleaners. This reduces the introduction of harsh chemicals into the environment.
- Turn off appliances when not in use, doing so decreases energy use by 25%.
- Fix leaky water faucets to not waste water.
- Use LED lights to reduce energy even further.
- Choose companies who use eco-friendly packaging. That includes companies that have biodegradable packaging or will allow you to return the packaging for reuse.
- Create a need/want for "greener" products and services within the local community.
- Educate and encourage family and friends to also participate in more environmentally conscious practices.
- Consider solar panels for your home.
- Separate your recyclables by plastic, paper, and aluminum. Pay attention to the packaging that has the recycle symbol.